Dr. Umar Alisha
Dr. Umar Alisha is the Peetadhipathi of Sri Viswa Viznana Vidya Adhyathmika Peetham (Est. 1472 AD) – a 546 year old spiritual organization founded on the Sufi and Arsha Dharma principles based in Pithapuram, Andhra Pradesh. He is also the founding Chairman of Umar Alisha Rural Development Trust – a non-profit organization dedicated to improve rural communities through services in the sectors of health, education, women and child welfare, spiritual studies, and environmental protection. He is a true pioneer in the fields of both spirituality and social work. In the eyes of many, his extraordinary service to the people of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states to promote communal harmony and social service is unparalleled.
He is the 9th head of the peetham and a spiritual scholar and Guru. Most importantly he is someone who has constantly strived to bring positive transformation in individuals and several unnoticed communities through spirituality and social service. His innovative programs had visible and transformative impact on individuals and communities. He introduced THRAYI SADHANA an easy to implement spiritual practice that has helped numerous individuals in their spiritual journey irrespective of religion, caste, creed, sex or nationality. He brought religious leaders of multiple faiths under common platform to highlight the essence of wisdom from various religions, and thereby promoting communal harmony. He advocated the idea that positive transformation can happen if every individual perceives spiritual and social awareness as two eyes. He has authored numerous books and is also the editor for Spiritual Monthly Magazine (Tatwaznanamu). He established 103 spiritual and social service centers across AP and Telangana states, and has conducted over 2,800 congregations across the world in the past 27 years to promote spiritual development.
Through Umar Alisha Rural Development Trust, Dr. Umar Alisha has launched numerous initiatives in the past 17 years that have brought positive change in many rural areas of Andhra Pradesh. Below are some of the highlights of his contributions. Umar Alisha Akshara Jyothi a program for eradication of illiteracy initiated in 1992 has educated 10,339 people. The environmental movement called Na Mokka, Naa Swaasa (means my plant, my breath) helped plant and grow over 1.5 lakh saplings with tree guard protection. He launched various free homoeopathic, allopathic, surgical eye, dental, blood donation, family planning and pulse polio programs/ camps for the benefit of tribals and rural folk. Programs for chikungunya & Swine Flu have been initiated and administered preventive doses to nearly 60 lakh people. More than 5500 tribal women were given free training in various life skills and helped in women empowerment.
Dr.Umar Alisha is a homoeopathic physician by profession. He was born on August 2, 1966 at Pithapuram in East Godavari District of Andhra Pradesh to Sri Mohiddin Badusha and Smt Zahera Begum. Dr.Umar Alisha graduated from the Government Homeopathic Medical College at Gudivada. His notable awards include: Savitri Bai Phule Lifetime Achievement Award (2016); Aatmiya Puraskaram by Honble Chief Minister Sri N Chandrababu Naidu (2016); Visishta Ugadi Puraskaram (2013); Felicitation at 4th World Telugu Congress (2012); Ugadi Puraskaram (2010); Son of India Award (2016); Vamsee international , National Integrity and Service Award (2012) Bharata Sarva Matha Santhi Dutha, National Award (2010) Best Citizen Of India (2010); Bharata Ratnasri (2009); Visesha Puraskaram Award (2006).
- Implementation of concept of THRAYI SADHANA (Three Spiritual Practices) social service at 103 spiritual and service centers in AP and Telangana States.
- Motivating more than 11 lakh members to participate and follow the philosophy of Peetham.
- Conducting interfaith meetings regularly.
- More than 2,800 spiritual discourses were given at various platforms all over India and abroad.
- Invited as speaker and chief guest for various festivals of Hindu temples, Churches and other religious monuments.
- Publication of universally accepted spiritual literature on Sufi and Arsha Dharma in three languages namely English, Telugu and Hindi.
- Editor of Spiritual monthly Magazine (Tatwaznanam) for the past 25 years.
- Conducting free medical camps in tribal areas and backward areas.
- Implementation of the programs (My plant My breath) for balanced environment in cities and towns in AP and Telangana.
- More than 5500 tribal women have been trained in women empowerment courses.
- Plantation of 1.5 lakh saplings with protected tree guards to ensure their survival.
- Umar Alisha literary programs transformed 10,339 illiterates through adult literacy programs.
- Establishment of self help groups for rural areas for self styled economic development.
- Numerous charity activities undertaken to help the needy, distribution of relief supplies during major natural calamities, providing water kiosks, etc.
- 2016 Savitri Bai Phule Life Time Achievement Award by Savitri Bai Phule charitable trust, Visakhapatnam
- 2016 Aatmiya Puraskaram by Honble Chief Minister Sri N Chandra Babu Naidu During the Kakinada Beach Festival
- 2013 Felicitation to Dr Umar Alisha on the occasion of 33rd Foundation Day of GITAM University , for his relentless services rendered in the field of Social Service
- 2013 Visistha Ugadi Puraskaram , from Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- 2012 Felicitation to Dr Umar Alisha at 4th World Telugu Congress, Tirupathi
- 2012 Ugadi Puraskaram from Visakha Samacharam
- 2010 Vikrutinama Ugadi Puraskaram from Kinnera Art Theatres and Kinnera Cultural and Education Trust, Hyderabad.
- 2007 Son of India Award, By Mother India International.
- 2019 Pratibha Bharathi Puraskar, from Delhi Telugu Academy
- 2018 Viswa Ratna International, from Mother India International
- 2017 Mother Theresa Lifetime Achievement Award for his services to the society, from Mother India International
- 2016 Vamsee international , National Integrity and Service Award
- 2012 Bharata Sarva Matha Santhi Dutha, National Award, from Mother India International
- 2010 Best Citizen Of India , From International Publishing House , New Delhi,
- 2009 Bharata Ratnasri , National Award, from Mother India International.
- 2006 Visesha Puraskaram Award, from Dr Ramineni Foundation,USA.
Contribution to the Field:
His primary field of contribution is in the area of spiritual and social service platforms.
- He introduced THRAYI SADHANA (Three forms of spiritual practice) and social service as a means to achieve fulfilment with human life. The THRAYI SADHANA includes a daily 30 minute program that includes (a) Chanting Mantra (Mystical Syllables), (b) Jnana Yoga (Acquiring spiritual knowledge) and (c) Dhyana (Meditation of the mind). The practice was developed based on Sufi and Arsha Dharma principles. This practice is easy, completely free, and transcends religious boundaries. People from all walks of life have been able to attain this training and obtained spiritual fulfilment through this program. More than eleven lakh people are practicing this program, have benefited by reducing stress and getting better happy living index. This program has the potential to be implemented in any organization, community or religion, irrespective of caste, creed, race, religion, sex or nationality.
- He introduced specific programs for pregnant women (Tatwika Rasayan) who need healthy and peaceful mind as they nurture their baby in the womb, children between 8 to 11 years Tatwika BalaVikas to gain spiritual knowledge.
- His teachings inculcate the qualities of kindness, love, thereby developing humanitarian values finally to reach divinity.
Contribution to the Society:
The breadth and depth of Dr. Umar Alisha contribution to the development of rural communities is un-paralleled in terms of the impact his initiatives have had on people and their livelihood. During the past 28 years, he has launched several programs for the upliftment of communities that originally had little access to education, health and sanitary and environmental awareness.
- His various environmental activities such as tree plantation drives and initiatives contributed to the clean and green healthy environment in the country
- He inculcated the concept of social service motive in the youth and as a result they took part in various programs related to health, education, environmental awareness.
- Helped numerous individuals to letting go of their habits and evils in the society through strong intellectual and spiritual development
- Counselled numerous family members to promote peace among family members and others in the society